China Totalization Agreements

The Social Security Agreement (“SSA” or “Agreement”) between the People`s Republic of China (“China”) and Switzerland will enter into force on 19 June 2017.1 The SSA is in line with Switzerland`s recent social security aggregation agreements and complies with international standards. Anyone who wants more information about the U.S. Totalization Agreements for Security program — including details of some existing agreements — should write about it that international social security agreements are beneficial for both those currently working and those whose professional careers have ended. For current workers, the agreements remove double contributions that they might otherwise make to the social security plans of the United States and another country. For people who have worked both in the U.S. and abroad and are now retired, disabled, or dead, agreements often result in the payment of benefits that the worker or their family members would not otherwise be entitled to. A list of countries with which the United States currently has tabled agreements and copies of these agreements can be obtained under U.S. International Social Security Agreements. Provisions to remove double coverage for workers are similar in all U.S. agreements. Each sets a basic rule that refers to a worker`s place of employment. Under this fundamental “rule of territoriality,” an employee who would otherwise be covered by both the U.S.

system and a foreign system is subject exclusively to the coverage laws of the country in which he or she works. Applications must contain the name and address of the employer in the United States and the other country, the worker`s full name, place and date of birth, citizenship, U.S. and foreign social security numbers, place and date of hiring, and the start and end date of the overseas operation. (If the employee works for a foreign subsidiary of the U.S. company, the application should also indicate whether U.S. social security coverage has been agreed for employees of the related business in accordance with Section 3121(l) of the Internal Income Code.) Self-employed persons should indicate their country of residence and the nature of their self-employment. When applying for certificates under the agreements concluded with France and Japan, the employer (or self-employed person) must also indicate whether the worker and all accompanying family members are covered by health insurance. China has also signed totalization agreements with France and Serbia, which will only enter into force when the two states parties have completed the necessary domestic legal procedures. . . .


Related posts